Thursday, January 28, 2016

Friends - Review

(All opinions are mine unless stated otherwise)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Binge-watch-ability: 9 out of 10
Maturity Level: I'm pretty sure the official TV rating is TV-14, but besides some sexual references and some mild language, this show is pretty clean.


(credit: tv.com)

On January 1st of last year, Netflix released all 10 glorious seasons of the extremely popular 90's and early 2000's show, Friends. And, like everybody else, I was ecstatic. Because I was very young when the show ended, my only exposure to the show was when it sporadically appeared on TV late at night. Both my parents were obsessed with this show when it was on air, so both my brother and I set out to watch it all in order. 

As I'm sure you know, Friends is a show about a group of six best friends' adventures through relationships, jobs and just overall life. The friends are abnormally close for people their age; they go on trips together, they hang out all the time, and know a little too much about each other. Each character is very different, allowing for the viewer to choose whoever they relate the most to. The show has 236 episodes spanning across 10 seasons. 

As far as convenience, this show is the best. When I was watching the show, I would binge on it on the weekends, sometimes starting and finishing a whole season in two days, and watch at least one episode a night on weekdays, because staying up just twenty more minutes to watch an episode is totally justifiable (which sets it apart from more dramatic shows, because a whole 45 minutes to an hour is harder to justify to yourself). After having finished the show, I immediately added it to my arsenal of shows to watch when I'm sad, tired, or just plain bored. I usually just look up something along the lines of "best Friends episodes" and go from there. 

To me, and I'm sure many others, this show is a rite of passage. Everyone remembers the first time they watched Friends. Everyone relates to one character more than the other (I'm a Monica). Everyone who has ever watched Friends will probably never turn down a chance to watch it when it comes on late at night. Friends is iconic, and if you haven't yet experienced it, I highly suggest you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment