Monday, February 1, 2016

Sherlock - Review

(Keep in mind all reviews are of my personal opinion)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Binge-watch-ability: 5 out of 10
Maturity Level: I'd rate it PG-13 (Violence, Mild Language).

(credit: christianpost.com)

I started watching Sherlock because I had seen it all over Tumblr (back when I still used it). I am a huge fan of Doctor Who, so I figured that I would enjoy this show, which is also produced by BBC and written by Steven Moffat. I was a little skeptical because I was more of a fan of Russell T Davies era Doctor Who, but I checked it out anyway. 

This show follows the classic detective Sherlock Holmes and his partner John Watson in a modern day London. Each episode is a different mystery, while still having a story arc over the entire season. For example, the two could be solving a separate mystery then be interrupted by the main villain, Moriarty. 

If I'm being completely honest here, I don't think I've ever watched more than one episode of this show in a row. Don't get me wrong, the show is amazing and extremely clever, but each episode is like a movie. One episode of Sherlock is 90 minutes long, with only 3 episodes in each season. There are currently three seasons, making a total of nine episodes. To me, this is the biggest problem if you are looking for something quick and easy to watch, because while incredible, this show is not quick nor easy to watch. Another annoying yet understandable flaw of the show is that new seasons come out every two years. 

Unless you enjoy re-watching TV shows, this is the type of show that will entertain you, but not consume your entire life. I started this show in the summer of 2013, after two seasons were out. The third season began at the beginning of 2014, and by that time, I had almost forgotten about it. I was delighted to see a new season, however. No matter how far apart the seasons are, this show does not disappoint. The characters are well-thought out, dynamic, and unpredictable, leaving you on the edge of your seat. The crimes/mysteries are extremely entertaining, the way they are solved even more so. While the binge-watch potential of this show is pretty low, I would still highly recommend at least checking it out. And if you're anything like me, you'll start thinking in a British accent for a little while after. 

I hope this review was helpful! If you have any questions/comments/suggestions, email me or leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment