Friday, March 11, 2016

As a Teenager, "Teen Dramas" Bore Me

As a kid, I was told I had an old soul. My parents told me that as a baby, I acted the closest to an adult a baby can act. Even now, I'm told that I don't look or act like a freshman in high school. So I guess I'm not surprised that I don't care for the "typical teen dramas" that so many people my age are obsessed with.

Granted, I've never given them much of a chance. I watched maybe a season of Pretty Little Liars and only watched The Vampire Diaries because a friend of mine wanted someone to rant to (aren't I a great friend?). Everyone on my Twitter feed recently has been obsessed with Grey's Anatomy, and while it isn't specific to teenagers, the only solid argument for it is the hot doctor (who is more than twice my age). But is that a bad thing?

My new philosophy for this year is not to judge other's interests, and while so far this doesn't make it sound like I'm doing a great job, I have nothing against these shows. In fact, sometimes I feel left out of the discussion. The closest to a typical girl phase I've had is when I watched all of Make It Or Break It one summer when I was eleven. I don't remember the last time I was obsessed with a character simply because they were attractive (maybe Loki??). I've never seen Teen Wolf or One Tree Hill, and I don't plan on it. It simply doesn't interest me. But will I judge my peers for watching it? No. Should you? absolutely not. I choose to spend my time binge-watching The Office, and I wouldn't want someone judging me for that. I think teenagers get a bad rep, but it's really just a conflict of interest. From the perspective of a teenager, we have our own interests, and you have yours. Girls obsessing over Justin Beiber don't judge men for obsessing over football players, do they?

Do you agree/disagree with this? Let me know! Tell your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment