Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Parks and Recreation Review - "Mockumentary" Strikes Again

(all reviews are my own opinion)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Binge-watch-ability: 9 out of 10
Maturity Level: Upper end of PG, definitely (Mild Sexual References and Language)


(credit: netflixlife.com)

I don't quite remember why I started watching Parks and Rec. I'd heard about it from friends, but never really checked into it. Maybe it showed up as trending one day, but I know that I was very quickly obsessed, marking possibly the first show I ever really binge-watched.

This show focuses on Leslie Knope, a member of the Parks and Recreation department for a struggling small town in Indiana. She, as well as the other members of the department, go through various hilarious adversities and relationships, all while dealing with the problem that is their town's government. The show ended in early 2015, with 125 episodes over seven seasons.

Anyone who knows anything about Parks and Rec knows that the first season of the show is pretty rough. It's a struggle to find the characters. Thankfully, the six-episode season is over quickly, and paves the way for some pretty amazing stuff. Starting with the second season, the comedy, characters, and stories improve tremendously. It was at the start of this season (which includes gay penguins) that I really became hooked. The abundance of unique characters find a way to work together that is captivating and addicting. The "Mockumentary" style, much like that of The Office, proves to be very successful.

If I remember correctly, I spent the first month of my summer watching this show from beginning to end, leaving me, admittedly, emotionally empty after realizing that it was over. I have no doubt that every character is relatable in some way, the relationships are adorable but not suffocating, and it's just great comedy. I would recommend this show to everyone, from teenage girl to actual government employee.

If you enjoyed this review, share it with your friends! Let me know any suggestions in the comments or email me at jordanbaylescontact@gmail.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment